Thursday, June 9, 2011

Famous Quotes

Find a famous quote from your discipline (or even one that applies to your discipline). For example if you are a science teacher you might grab one from Watson & Crick, Marie Curie, Einstein, Darwin, etc...
Explain why you selected, and what you think it means...and maybe even explain what your students view might be of the same quote.

For example:
"The whole of science is nothing more than a refinement of everyday thinking." -Einstein
Sometimes I feel like I'm running a constant Science-Doesn't-Suck campaign as a science teacher. This reminds us that although it seems very intimidating, science is something you do every day, countless times within a day...I think my students would be surprised to hear that came from Einstein's mouth.

"Imagination is more important than knowledge." - Einstein
Sometimes I feel like I'm betraying myself when I veg out in front of the tv...but say what you will about the "remote controlled babysitter" or as my dad liked to call it the "idiot box," it has allowed a bookworm like me to connect with the pulse of worldwide creativity. I'm not just an avid reader, I'm an avid watcher, and most importantly, even though I don't understand everything, I'm an avid imaginer. This is why this struck me...there is no point in gaining all the knowledge in the world, if you can't imagine. I think my students would totally see this, but maybe their follow up question would be something like, "so why are grades and tests so important, Miss?" :)

2 comments:

  1. "I Have a Dream" speech ~Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
    Malcom X was a supporter of Dr. King's dream team.

    ReplyDelete
  2. .."There is no time for my regrets..." Song: Thing's I've Prayed For... by Eli.

    ReplyDelete