Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Imaginary Numbers? Seriously?

Okay so it's time to be honest with you. I know that we, as science teachers, like to feel falsely assured either that we know everything or can easily learn anything we don't know.... Far more interesting than what we don't know....is what positively CONFOUNDS us. For example, I always loved math...until I got to college and took engineering-based Calculus. The class was a struggle for me but I muddled through....until I got to imaginary numbers. A number,...that you imagined? A number that could be anything? As in 0, 1, 2, 3, or 9? or as in a group of numbers? or maybe they meant it was a object? This plagued me.

Then, one day, 8 years later, in a Frontier Airlines flight, the zen 40-something surfer next to me simply explained that imaginary numbers are simple,...once you understand that they could be anything, like a variable or equation or constant...at this moment, several lego blocks inside my brain clicked and I realized....all those years of feeling like a calculus failure were unwarranted. It was simply that no one had ever fully explained to me before! To be fair, to do so would have seriously deterred the benefits of early morning alcohol consumption for my tenured Cal professor....and also I think there is still something I'm missing here.

Do you have a similar "bone to pick" with any particular content area? Think back through your education and tell us what stumped you in a certain class. Tell us about it, and maybe you'll have a similar experience.

14 comments:

  1. FInding the Main Idea of articles!!! I had few LA teachers that would sit down and actually work one on one to help me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you have a point with imaginary numbers. I never really thought about them being imaginary. It's been a while since I've been in high level math. I guess nobody really explained it to me. I can see how kids get stumped.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Imaginary numbers are great because they CAN be anything I want them to be. Why don't we use imaginary letters, too. That would make spelling eazy peezy lim'on squeezy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to hug imaginary numbers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I struggled with math in general. I had a phobia up until college. My attitude going into a math class dictated my performance until I did well in my pre-cal class. It took me to my jr year in college to do better.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I struggled about this 'Cut' test thing... what is a Cut?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was an engineering major, too, until I got to 2nd order equations. And then, I fled.

    ReplyDelete
  8. "If I'd had more interesting teachers and interesting classes like I see at my school, I might've chosen a different field!" (Mrs. Fanscher as told to Mr. Atkins.)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I always struggled in health class. At one point they were showing us these really gross pictures, and I didn't want to learn anything about STI's.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I struggled with math at times, and I did really well at times. I found it is all about making a connection with the instructor.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Bone to pick. Maaaa!!! MEATLOAF!!! NOW!!! - ZB

    ReplyDelete
  12. I find it difficult to find see imaginary numbers..

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm bringing the intergal of e to the power of xy back

    ReplyDelete
  14. Number comprehension, real or imaginary, always came easy to me. Reading comprehension... not so much!

    ReplyDelete