Wednesday, June 8, 2011

What's Your Word?

In Elizabeth Gilbert's famous book "Eat, Pray, Love" , she mentions a friend of hers who insists that every city and every person has a word. For example, New York's word is "acheive" and Rome's word is "sex." Eventually, the author decides on her word. My question to you is the same, but with a twist.
If you could pick a word from any of our units in science to be your word, what would you pick and why?
Here is mine: I feel like a cell in telophase. This is when the cell splits in two and separates. It is a phase in the process of cell division (mitosis) that is the end of a growth phase in a cell and signals the creation of 2 separate new cells.
http://www.biology.arizona.edu/cell_bio/tutorials/cell_cycle/mitosis_movie.html

I've spent a great deal of time growing, exploring, and learning wonderful lessons. Now, I feel like I'm going to another level where I am not who I was when I was younger, when I first started teaching, and when I first started learning science. I carry the lessons from my former self into this new life and have identified what I really want to pass on to the next generation. Its the end of something (my former motives) but also the start of something (new hopes and motives). I'm sure I will go through this stage again as I age and learn even more. My word is Telophase.

I can't wait to hear yours!

2 comments:

  1. My Boss's word is... Radical!! With every thing being new and fun and interesting on the I.S. team, it is all radical.

    Boss: Ms. Laster
    Secretary: Mr. Meadows

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete